Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The University Years


In 1993 I started undergraduate education at the University of Michigan.  I was elated to be on my own, to have more freedom in life.  Although I was decided on a premedical path, school took a back seat to social development.  I suspect as a result of a rather suppressed social life at home, I was eager to gain more experiences.  That is exactly what I did.  I made quite a few friends in my dorm and also partied quite a bit.  As far as women were concerned, I still lacked the confidence or desire to mature socially.  Those four years flew by and I must admit I just barely received high enough grades to get into medical school.  Life developed a challenging depth as I learned to balance money, recreation, and school work.  I finished my education in 3 1/2 years and took a job as a cook at my fraternity.  This was educational on many levels.  I learned managing, shopping, budgeting and cooking skills all at once.  I also learned that while it can be great to work out of your home... if that job causes grief, its hard to find a space to unwind.
During the summer after graduation I was in limbo.  I got accepted to medical school at Wayne State University in August, just one month before classes started.  The pressure related to taking on a large student loan and the uncertainty of a challenging new career weighed heavily on me.  I recall being very indecisive, confused and frankly depressed during that summer.
Medical School started in 1997.  I was fortunate enough to find a home with my oldest brother who lived in Royal Oak, Michigan.  I quickly felt at home in the school atmosphere and made many friends.  I developed my first romantic relationship at this time.  This of course helped my confidence, but I was rather spineless in the relationship because I was just so happy to be accepted by a woman.  That only lasted about six months (probably no fun to be with a guy who looses his identity so quick).  The years of my life were a mix of social growth, personal growth and professional growth.  I developed a new sense of identity near the end of this training and a renewed self confidence.
During my last year of school I met my now ex-wife.  The circumstances were very serendipitous and are worth mentioning.  I was working at a hospital in downtown Detroit on the summer solstice and this beautiful blond caught my eye... no opportunity to talk though.  That night I was 20 miles away studying in a coffee shop.  I looked up and the same blond was standing by herself.  I introduced myself and we started dating. 
It was at this same time that I committed to a neurology specialty after considering psychiatry as a close second choice. 
That last year of medical school was one of the most free in my life to date.  I traveled to Nepal, Thailand, San Francisco and Tucson all for one month epics.  I felt enriched and revived.

No comments:

Post a Comment